CARTHAGE, N.Y. -- Emergency responders were called to what appeared to be an electrical fire at Carthage Energy on West End Avenue.
Crews were called to the scene just before noon. When they arrived the building was full of smoke with extensive damage to the electrical switching equipment.
The fire caused the road to close and knocked out power to many homes and businesses, including Metro Paper.
"You always have concerns of the toxicity what's burning in terms of wiring and casing and so forth. Whether the switch gear is oil or not, which was not the case in this, but those are some things you need to take into consideration," said Sean P. McHale, Carthage-Wilna Fire Chief.
The road was reopened shortly after the fire was brought under control. There's no word on when the plant will be back in operation.